It is official, Mortal Kombat X is the next big fighter from NetherRealm Studios. A few days before E3 NetherRealm put out a cinematic trailer for the game that was amazing. It showed off interactables, amazing graphics and naturally, fatalities are still there. The first Mortal Kombat X teaser left us thinking that the game play can’t be on par with the trailer, but guess what, it is!
The game play shown at E3 for the game shows a much cleaner fighting game than Mortal Kombat 9 and also taking things from Injustice that worked for NetherRealm. The interactables seem to be more smooth than Injustice and works well with the Mortal Kombat fighting style. They also left the power bar or meter bar (however you’d like to call it) and x-ray moves that seem to make you cringe every time you see one done. The beloved fatalities that made the series what it is today are of course still there, and even more gore and blood than Mortal Kombat 9.
During E3 Ed Boon also discuss a new mechanic for the game where each fighter would have three different versions to choose from. Boon explain it like this, “One might be more offensive, or defensive, or a distance projectile one,” said Boon. “It makes match ups a lot more of an interesting thing. Normally in a fighting game, you might say Raiden is a bad match up against Scorpion, but [in MKX], you might say Raiden A is a bad match up against Scorpion B, but he’s good against Scorpion A,” Boon continued.”All of those add a lot more variables in play to the combat.”
Since the game is very early in development, these are subject to change, but you can at least see what the developers are looking at implementing.
Note that all variations will be available up front, without the need to unlock or buy them.
Variations for the Mortal Kombat X characters – E3 2014 build
– Hollywood: Adds Air Akimbo and Nut Kracker.
– Brawler: Adds Air Power Slam and Take Down.
– Spec Ops: Adds Air Assault and The American Way.
– Brood Mother: Adds Krawler and Bug Blast.
– Swarm Queen: Adds Vortex Swarm and Wasp Grenade.
– Venomous: Adds Bug Burst and Ovipostior based attacks poison the opponent.
– Ruthless: Adds Pain and Gain ability which increases Torr’s damage output.
– Vicious: Adds The Boss Toss, Little Kutter, and increased Ferra Damage.
– Lackey: An enhanced Torr fights solo as Ferra watches from the sidelines.
– Blood God: Adds Crystal, Obsidian and Blood Totems.
– War God: Adds Macuahuitl based special moves.
– Sun God: Adds Sun God Choke and Soul Scorch.
– Ninjutsu: Adds unique attacks utilizing dual swords.
– Hellfire: Adds Hell Ball, Demon Fire and Flame Aura.
– Inferno: Adds the ability to summon a Demonic Minion.
– Cryomancer: Adds the ability to summon Ice Weapons.
– Unbreakable: Adds Frozen Aura and Barrier of Frost.
– Grandmaster: Adds Ice Clone that can be thrown or used as a shield.
I love this idea because it means there will be a lot depth to the game for each character, possibly deeper than the Marvel vs Capcom series, and I see this being huge in the competitive scene. Can you imagine a mirror match up of Scorpion or Sub-Zero but it being totally different because of this mechanic?
It was also reveled that the story line is going to be as expansive as ever. The daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade is in the game as “Cassie Cage”. She is said to have a mixture of both fighter’s styles and new moves that are all her own. It was also said that the game story is set 25 years after Mortal Kombat 9, which means may we see more offspring forms of other fan favorites.
To sum it all up, I love what as been shown at E3 so far. The beloved game from our child hood is still there with new things to keep you interested. We can only hope that the game continues to move along but I can’t wait tell 2015 for the release.